Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Sewing Machine and the Beginner

I hope the title sounds like the beginning of a good book. I know deciding to learn anything new comes with a lot of anxiety.  Stay calm, I'll walk you through it.  This is also an interactive blog, so join in with your questions. I can only "type to myself" for so long and I can only guess what you may be thinking when it comes to sewing.

Let's see.. You have the machine and all it's parts and some of you have voiced concerns about breaking the machine.  Some of you have to take it out of the box first. Some of you have tried using it and now it won't work, which may mean you think you've broken your machine.  Again, breath, stay calm.  There are certain things you need to do and certain things you should not do if you can help it.

Most sewing machines are pretty tough, here's a warning. Don't buy 'REFURBISHED' there are millions and I mean millions of refurbished machines out there and the one you may buy is on its' 2nd or 3rd home.

Consider test driving a machine with a dealer.  Trust me...a good dealer would rather you consider and reconsider before buying.  If you have money to waste go with refurbished.
Just a note about going with a dealer...think hard before buying a machine with more bells and whistles then you know how to operate.

Think simple...not bottom of the list simple, just remember you are a beginner and in training and you may not need a machine that is smarter then you when it comes to sewing.

Stop by Classic Sewing...take a test drive in a class or two. I'll help you understand the machine and we'll sew through a simple project. Then we'll talk about what kind of sewing you intend to focus on.

No comments:

Post a Comment